Friday, July 2, 2010

Geordie had to do work, so he stayed home while his mom and brother, Merrie and I went out for the day. We went to the yarn store in Concord. I bought four balls of 2nd Time Cotton and a needle to make a ribbed circular shrug-thing. Turns out that this was a good thing, because lace shawl I'd brought along to work on is being defiant, so I pulled it out. Then, I realized that I hadn't brought the right part of the pattern, so I couldn't re-start the shawl.

However, I don't need a pattern for the shrug; it's just an easy ribbed thing. So I started it in the car and I've already done about 7" of the back. I can't wait. I think it'll be fun to finish it while I'm here and wear it.

While still in Concord, we stopped into a Best Buy so Geordie's brother could buy a new camera, then we drove to Portsmouth for lunch and poking around. We got a little lost on the way, but had fun regardless. We ate lunch at a restaurant which is right on the water and got to see the draw bridges draw up and a HUGE barge pass through. It was being pushed by three really strong tugboats. I had fish and chips, which was especially good here. Light and fresh, with moist tender fish.

Afterwards, Geordie's mom and I spent some time in the quilt shop nearby (she's hoping to go to the quilt show at the end of the month with me), then found another yarn store and a really good coffee shop/candy shop. Finally, we stopped into a great local bakery in Kittery, Maine, which is just over the river from Portsmouth. We bought some delicious meat at the butcher's next door then came home.

Geordie had become frustrated by his work by then and had gone out, but discovered too late that I had the house key, so he sat outside in his car until we got home.

We barbequed all the meat, Geordie and I ran to the grocery store to get veggies, and we had a big dinner with all sorts of tasty meats, delicious corn on the cob, fresh salad and locally made ice cream for dessert.

After dinner we sat around, computed and poked about on the 'net, half watched a movie (The Invention of Lying) and now we're going to bed soon.

I have no idea what we're doing tomorrow, but it looks like it'll be fun.

SongBird

No comments:

Post a Comment