Friday, July 2, 2010

So, we got up, um, not as early this time. The room was pretty amazing - part of what had taken us so many tries the night before was that we needed to find suites. There are five of us, but only two share a bed, so we need a separate room for Merrie, and Edward and Mary don't like to share a room. Given that they're mother and son, you know. The first couple of hotels had "suites", but they were two beds in one room, or a bedroom and a living room, but the living room didn't have a pull out sofa-bed. This hotel had suites which were two rooms - one room with two queen sized beds and a bathroom and a deck (just like a regular hotel room), with a door to the adjoining room which had a living room with a sofa-bed and a kitchen and a bathroom and a tiny little dining area. And the rest of the deck.

It was pretty spiffy, really. Merrie was delighted. She did have troubles getting online, but we just shrugged and let her get to it on her own.

Anyway, we checked out of the hotel, ate breakfast (blueberry french toast for me), then drove through Acadia Park. I took loads and loads of pictures - it's a glacial island, so there are lovely fingers of land with amazing views from every different angle. We drove up the road to the top of Cadillac Mountain; it's only about 1500 ft high, but again, the views were stunning. There was a cruise liner in the harbor; I didn't know it was deep enough to take anything that large.

Afterwards, we stopped in Bar Harbor for ice cream. The place we went to had lobster ice cream! I meant to try it (it was vanilla flavor, with real lobster bits mixed in), but got distracted by peppermint and strawberry. Geordie got Moosedroppings (chocolate and chocolate and, um, chocolate) and rum & raisin. Finally, we followed Merrie into a shop she wanted to look at - they sold knives and swords. I don't have a good sturdy sharp knife, so as a final birthday present, Geordie got me a Benchmark knife. I'm now Very Well Armed.

After that, we picked up Edward and Mary's rental car, which we'd left in the hotel's parking lot, and drove the rest of the way back to New Hampshire. I took some pictures of the drive, but really it was just more opportunity for the alphabet game (which Edward is amusingly good at) and a chance to get more knitting done. I'm almost done with the shrug I bought yarn for!

I have a pattern for socks that get knitted with one inside the other. I'm thinking of getting some inexpensive wool-blend yarn to make a quick pair with!

Anyway, we had dinner at a sea food restaurant in Concord, with Geordie's friends and I came home to yet another present (by this time, I'm feeling more than spoilt - this is the most attention that anyone has paid to my birthday in, well, years. It's a little overwhelming!). Now I'm over-tired and stiff.

Geordie's friends, and Edward and Mary are going for a drive up in northern New Hampshire tomorrow, but I think Geordie and I are sitting it out. Fast cars on windy, twisty roads sounds more fun that it would be with me feeling sick to my stomach. Plus, we're a little driven out, so to speak. We might find someplace local to go, or just stay home and relax. Maybe I'll work out something to cook for everyone for dinner.

Good night all! I'll see about more detailed descriptions and maybe even photographs tomorrow.

*hugs you all*

G'night.

SongBird

No comments:

Post a Comment