Friday, July 2, 2010

So, Geordie and I slept in, wonderfully and luxuriously, then ate a delicious bacon sandwich breakfast his mom and brother Edward cooked. Afterwards, we hung out together for a while, entertaning each other and being amusing. Finally, Geordie kicked us out so he could finish up his work, so his mom, Edward, Merrie and I went to a local Barnes & Noble to get books. Geordie's mom had only brought one! She'll run out of reading before the end of the trip. After that, we stopped into AAA for maps (I got two of the Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine map - one for me, one for Geordie's mom), ate lunch at Panera Bread, then trotted to the shoe shop next door and amused ourselves for at least an hour trying on ridiculous shoes and laughing at how silly we looked. Merrie found a pair of thigh high boots she fell in love with, and I think the slutty red peep-toe pumps with the floppy bow would have been (terrible) a great idea.

We stopped into Starbucks, then a CVS, then a grocery store (we needed potatoes and came home with potatoes, corn, creamer packets for Geordie's mom, grapes, and bananas), then home.

While everyone else was cooking dinner, Geordie and I trotted off to the sunglasses store - my birthday present this year is good quality sunglasses. My contact lenses are getting much easier, so sunglasses are important. The first store we went to was staffed by an asshole, so we tried a second and got cute glasses with amazingly clear polarized lenses. I have 90 days to return or exchange them, no questions asked, in any condition, and we bought them from a national chain, so if it turns out that they're not right, I can just try another pair.

(The asshole? I knew you'd ask.

I'm a small woman, with a roundish, smallish face. The second we went into the first shop, the guy greeted us and asked if he could help us with anything.

We said, "No thanks, we're just looking."

He replied that we were in the Fashion Glasses area and he was sure I could find something I liked there. Like these, except the Wayfarers

I said, "No, those don't look good on me. The shape's all wrong."

He said, "That's not true. I bet I could find a pair that you'd like. Want to see them?"

After blinking, I said, "No. I don't want to see them. I don't like those."

He got very huffy, so we looked at a couple (there was one pair we even liked...) and left.)

(ETA: Read this way, he doesn't sound quite as awful as he was in person. His attitude of disdain and snotty assumption was certainly part of the problem.)

Anyway, dinner was delicious smoked, barbequed, roasted ham (only one - but cooked three ways!), brussels sprouts, green beans, carrots, potatoes and mince pie for dessert.

Tomorrow we're driving up to Canada, to see the Bay of Fundy and other points thereabouts. I can't wait.

SongBird

No comments:

Post a Comment