Monday, July 5, 2010

School Stuff

So, in order to bring my gpa up (it's 3.5; the school I want to get into typically accepts people at 3.7), I've enrolled in a basic Physics course. I anticipate much amusement, learning, and fun. Geordie's looking forward to it as well, I think. I have to get an A, no matter what. What's the ballistic curve of a flying A?

I'm trying to find a way to bring my non-English language skills up to mediocre. I can get an additional 5 points towards acceptance with foreign language skills. The way it works is the applicant gets a teacher/authority to sign a form that states the applicant has achieved a minimum level in their chosen foreign language. This is done with a scale ranging from 1: doesn't speak the foreign language, to 5: fluent native speaker. In order to get the five points, any applicant must rate a 3 or higher. Thus, I need to achieve mediocrity in my chosen language.

Given the timing of the physics course, I think the only class I can get into is a French 1A course, which is ... really going to be a brush-up and reminder course for me. I'd wanted to do Spanish, but there aren't any classes into which I can fit. Spanish is more useful, in my area, than French, but I've previously been a fluent native-level speaker in French, so it should be easier to re-achieve mediocrity. American Sign Language is only offered at the one campus with no parking and in a difficult urban area to get to. Arabic, Chinese and Japanese have similar issues, and I'm not sure I can achieve mediocrity in them in time anyway.

French it is, I guess. I'd sort of like to use my friend Kam's copy of Rosetta Stone Spanish, but I'm not sure I can. Anyway, my Tuesdays and Thursdays are now fully scheduled, from 9am through 1:50. Tuesdays will then continue to the yarn store at 4 through 6pm.

I should also re-take the TEAS test. This is the test which I'd scheduled, then forgotten and for which I didn't study at all. It's basic, and I didn't get 100%, which is somewhat humiliating. In some cases, I think it's that I disagree with what the test thinks is correct. (I'm pretty confident in my understanding of sentence structure, but I didn't do well on that part of the test. Hmmm...) Regardless, I can take it a second time, and the school takes the higher of the two scores.

I think I should also talk to the community college and find out how to get the AA degree I have all the credits for. At this point, I should start putting letters behind my name, right?

I still haven't gone grocery shopping. Hmmm.

SongBird

No comments:

Post a Comment