Friday, July 2, 2010

Well, I went to bed last night, then realised I'd forgotten my Daily Post! *eek*

Okay, so. Yesterday we didn't do much. I've been hoping to try the double-knit socks (the ones I've been taking pictures of, one sock inside the other), but I didn't have yarn for them. (This isn't precisely true. I brought sock-weight yarn for the project, but of course, if I want to show Mary, I'll need bigger yarn. MUCH bigger yarn. So.)

I poked about online and found a yarn shop in Derry that got very good reviews. The Yarn and Fiber Company turned out to be closer than it looked to me on the map and really good. It's huge, filled with interesting sample garments (as well as swatches of each yarn), many different gauges from cobweb weight lace yarn to yarn as big around as a quarter. Really. There was locally hand-dyed yarn, in a wide range of fibers and weights (I got a 400 yard hank of thin cashmere. It's an amazingly pretty color, all greens and rusty golds. I have no idea what I'll knit it into, but it'll be for ME. *is selfish*

I also got two balls of Noro Kureyon in a mix of blues, purples, greens, and browns. I have nice bamboo short double pointed needles - and I'm halfway through turning the heel of the socks.

We drove down to the coast just south of the New Hampshire/Massachusetts border after that, then drove up the coast, looking at the pretty little towns and watching the sea and sky. After stopping off at the bakery just over the state line into Maine, the Beach Pea (we got oatmeal bread, cheese loaves, some ginger and lemon cookies and the last four lemon bars), we came home. I started the socks immediately, of course.

Today we did similar things - we heard that there was going to be rain and thunderstorms, which Geordie loves, so we brought my socks and drove about until we found RAIN. At one point, the heaviest and rainiest point, we had to pull over on the little road to wait out the rain. We ate a late lunch at a nice little beachside place, sitting outside and watching the boats.

Mostly today was spent driving around and spectating - looking at the pretty views and the tall trees and the different shapes of waterways and lakes that surround everything in New Hampshire. It is a pretty state.

Mary made dinner tonight - I think it's my turn tomorrow. I wonder what I should do.

I think we're going to the quilt show in Essex Junction, Vermont. Essex Junction is at the tippy top of Vermont, which means we're getting up early tomorrow, I think, to make it there in time. I'm sort of excited. I've been to knitting and yarn shows, but not a quilting one yet. Mary is coming with us; there's a bag kit she wants to buy there. Plus, she says she wants to look at the fabrics.

I'll take pictures, but I'm pretty sure that the show will say that pictures aren't allowed.

Anyway, it's time to work on the socks more. I'll see you all later.

*grin*

SongBird

No comments:

Post a Comment