Friday, July 2, 2010

We slept late, which seems to be our pattern. I think we'd like to start getting up earlier, if only so we can get more done. I don't know what we're doing tomorrow, but I think we should find something interesting and out of the house.

I'm almost done with my ribbed shrug, which I'm looking forward to wearing and not enjoying the knitting of. It's not exciting knitting and I've restricted myself from starting any other projects while this one is so close to being done. I'll post pictures of it when it's done. I should take pictures of it whilst it's partially done, huh?

We ate a nice breakfast in (eggs and bacon and toast and jam), and I've re-learned how uncomfortable sharing a kitchen makes me. I don't mind, precisely, and I like being in one cooking together with people I know well (especially if there's room), but I wasn't at all sure how to go about it with Mary, and I don't know the kitchen perfectly so I didn't know where anything was, and I'm still a little anxious around Mary. Anyway, all in all, it was a good breakfast.

Afterwards, we hung out inside for a while (it's pretty damned hot out); this time I sat in the main living room with Geordie and his friend Jack while they watched online tv shows about geekery. Jack's wife Amy made plans to meet their children for a Father's Day dinner at 6, which is much earlier than we've been eating dinner. Finally, we went out - everyone else wanted to go to lunch. We went with them and ate, but we weren't particularly hungry. After lunch, everyone else went off to grocery shop and we drove around just looking at the interesting houses and trees and changing views of the different tiny towns. Eventually, we went to Barnes and Noble to spend a half hour in strong air conditioning. Dinner was fun but very loud; ten people at one table make a lot of noise.

When we got to the restaurant (we got there first), it turns out that they were expecting to seat a party of ten at a round table that sat eight and have two people sit alone at a small separate table. I explained that we were here as ONE party and we wanted to sit together. They seemed annoyed at having to make other plans, but they weren't full or even busy, so making them put three tables together to seat us didn't seem too much of a big deal. We tipped well at the end anyway. (We've been to this restaurant once before, when we were here in winter. We got to the restaurant about half an hour before closing. They made it clear that they were very upset that we wanted to be seated and that they expected us to order, eat, pay, and leave by closing time. Which seemed odd to me, as I've only had that happen in coffee shops and retail stores - I've never had a restaurant expect the clientele to leave directly at closing time. I've certainly seen restaurants with people finishing eating at least half an hour after closing.)

Home again after dinner, to watch a movie. They picked A Perfect Getaway, which was more fun than I expected. I thought it was going to be a horror style slasher type movie, but it turned out to be a puzzler. Tense and twisty, and violent ohmyyes, but not as bad as I expected at all.

Bed soon, I think.

We should make plans for tomorrow.

G'night!

SongBird

No comments:

Post a Comment